One More Reason to Hate Microsoft

August 5, 2009
Posted by Jay Livingston

Bing is Microsoft’s new search engine, their challenge to Google.

David Pogue at the New York Times says, “in many ways, Bing is better.”

But in at least one way, Bing sucks. It refuses to find this blog.

Today, someone got to this blog by searching for “football players with a sociology degree ” in Google, no doubt, where we were the fourth hit on the list. But when I entered those terms in Bing, I clicked through the first ten pages and the SocioBlog still hadn’t turned up. Even adding specific terms that were in the relevant post (“clustering,” “Coulter”) didn’t help.

If you Google “Borat, Milgram, Goffman,” this blog is at or near the top of the list. Try it in Bing, and you get five hits, none of them this blog (and only one in English – the others are in French, Portuguese, or Italian). Bing adds this note at the bottom of the list: “Some results have been removed.” Just in case I wasn’t already feeling paranoid.

I checked a few other strings that people have used to get to this blog – “sports prediction market,” “Mary Douglas anomaly,” “gee whiz graph.” In Google, we were on the first page of results; in Bing, I gave up after ten pages.

Nobody outside Google knows what their algorithm is. I certainly don’t know Bing’s algorithm. Truth be told, I’m not sure what an algorithm is, and as others must have said, I find it odd to have the terms “Al Gore” and “rhythm” in the same paragraph let alone in the same word.
But whatever it is, Bing’s algorithm apparently has no place for this blog.

4 comments:

andrewska said...

You're just too damned subversive for Microsoft, Jay!

maxliving said...

Perhaps because you use Blogger, a Google product.

Felonia said...

I wouldn't worry too much about Bing replacing google. Google is god. :P It does everything right. Including finding awesome blogs like this one.

Scott, displays sensei said...

hi Jay,
If it helps, I just found your blog via Bing (and on the first page!). I searched bing for this...

[ bing "Some results have been removed" ]

I was trying to find out what "Some results have been removed" means...

Anyway, this blog post ranks #8 on Bing for the phrase above in []s.

And I'm still trying to figure out what that phrase means on bing results...
:) Scott, displays sensei